A New Peace Structure for Europe and the Role of the OSCE — Outlook on the Austrian Chairmanship of the OSCE 2017
An international conference organized by the National Defence Academy, Vienna at 14 November 2016, concluded with recommending steps for strengthening the OSCE in the field of arms control, confidence building and and security. The OSCE as the “only inclusive” security organization in Europe should be “much more” supported by NATO. Recommendations to the 2017 OSCE presidency included a.o. :
- In the classical spirit of the OSCE, efforts should be made to restore the indivisibility of security in Europe as the central guideline, especially in the relations between Russia and the EP countries.
- The necessary building of trust between the OSCE member states should be addressed in a structured dialogue, amongst other things by revitalization of the arms control talks. …
- Smaller steps are better than big ones. Europe needs a common vision of its security architecture. At the moment, we rather have fragmented regional security visions.
- Within the Vienna document framework of conventional arms control, one should move from national inspections to impartial OSCE inspections.
- All NATO member states are also members of the OSCE. Therefore, NATO should support and encourage the OSCE as an organisation much more, given that the OSCE-organizational design is the only inclusive one (Russia and other non- NATO-states) which exists. …